Saturday 6 January 2024

Strange Fruit by Lynn White

Banana (Musa) (1904) by Elsie E. Lower.


First published in Cajun Mutt Press, November 4 2020


 “If this is justice I’m a banana,”
I remember this being said
and I liked the sound of it
humour and pathos 
combined
incongruously.
So sometimes I used those words
to express how I was feeling
in various situations.
But strangely
the oddness,
and incongruity
of the expression
impressed no one.
So I moved on to express myself
with different words, 
forgot about it,
until now
when the sight of a banana
hanging singly by it’s stem
on a hook not made for the purpose
(how could it be?),
made me realise
that the banana,
a fruit with no juice
and usually no seeds,
is always incongruous
always out of place
wherever it appears.

***

LynnWhite lives in north Wales. Her work is influenced by issues of social justice and events, places and people she has known or imagined. She is especially interested in exploring the boundaries of dream, fantasy and reality.   https://lynnwhitepoetry.blogspot.com and https://www.facebook.com/Lynn-White-Poetry -1603675983213077/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.