Sunday 29 October 2023

I’m a Rock Climber by John Grey


 

Been thinking about granite,
cliff faces that constrict the muscles,
butcher the hands.
Been seeing myself half-way up the wall,
and realizing how it never was about
getting off the ground
or making it to the top
but being somewhere in between,
feet fumbling for steady rock,
fingers gripping ledge
or rope or piton.
Been imagining myself out of this house
and up there somewhere
every chance I get.
Been wanting to put myself in danger
ever since there's been all these people –
family, friends, lovers –
who think they’re tossing me a lifeline
just by being in my life.


***


John Grey is an Australian poet, US resident,  Latest book, Between Two Fires,is available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.