Tuesday 3 July 2018

Renters by Mitchell Krockmalnik Grabois



I am thrilled to be dying so fast
Malignancy is a thrill ride
Acceleration is all

A realtor once brought me to an AIDS house
Two gay men were dying
one on each floor
Each was full of holy suffering
each attended by friends
who turned from their grief 
to give me serious stink-eye

One turned on me: 
Can’t you wait for him to die? You vulture!
This was Key West 

I left the house furious
I ordered my wife
to fire the realtor

But my wife was having an affair with her
so she refused 
and the three of us stayed in an uneasy imbalance

I was secretly happy that the realtor was fat and homely
and had a stupid name 
and a stupid Southern accent
I was happy that my wife couldn’t do any better than that

We never bought a house
We just kept renting
as property values 
and rents
skyrocketed  

*****

Mitchell Krockmalnik Grabois  has had over fourteen-hundred of his poems and fictions appear in literary magazines in the U.S. and abroad. He has been nominated for numerous prizes, and. was awarded the 2017 Booranga Writers’ Centre (Australia) Prize for Fiction. His novel, Two-Headed Dog, based on his work as a clinical psychologist in a state hospital, is available for Kindle and Nook, or as a print edition. To read more of his work, Google Mitchell Krockmalnik Grabois. He lives in Denver, Colorado, USA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.